Tuesday, 20 August 2013

First ever gifts

A few weeks ago, I noticed a tweet in which someone was asking for recommendations for fabulous gifts for newborns. At the time, I quickly recommended the 100 year diary that someone bought for Libby when she was born. There is one page per season for 100 years, plus space for a photo each year and some other pages at the front such as achievements and things to remember. This is a fabulous keepsake that I hope she will have for her whole life. 

That got me thinking about how important gifts for newborns and Christening gifts are. If I was buying a gift for someone that I wasn't particularly close to, I'd probably stick with the usual cuddly toys or clothes, but if it was my sister or best friend, I'd want to think of something that the child would keep forever. 

I've always been a big fan of handmade gifts but it's difficult to think of something handmade that would really stand the test of time. For people who are much more talented than me, I love the idea of a painting, perhaps of flowers that are in season at the time the child is born. If framed carefully, this could easily last a lifetime. When Libby was born, my aunt picked some flowers from where she was on holiday in France, pressed them and mounted them on a piece of card with Libby's date of birth. What a lovely idea. 

If, like me, you're not talented enough to make a keepsake that can really last, John Lewis have some beautiful christening gifts. They are all reasonably priced and many of them are really made to stand the test of time. My personal favourites are the name a star gift and the my first year photo frame. Both of these are really personal things that the parents and child can look at together as the child gets older. They are also things that I could imagine a child keeping even as adults when they move away from home. How lovely to be able to give a gift to someone of this age that will last them a lifetime. 



This post was sponsored but the views, opinions, gift ideas and super-cute newborn are all mine (even if she is rather less cute and newborn these days!).

2 comments:

  1. That picture is lovely! I love the idea of gifts that are personalised and last a life time - pretty good value for money really :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Em! Yeah I agree, it's great when you can buy something that doesn't break the bank but will last forever. I was thinking of you when I was writing about the painting, one of your framed paintings would make a lovely newborn gift :)

    ReplyDelete